Doctors: Teens Getting Drunk Off Hand Sanitizer

Teens Getting Drunk Off of Hand SanitizerDoctors are warning parents about a dangerous new trend after six teenagers drank hand sanitizer and ended up in Southern California emergency rooms with alcohol poisoning.

Dr. Billy Mallon works in the emergency room at Los Angeles County USC Medical Center.

He said he’s seen too many young people come through the hospital’s doors because they tried to get drunk by guzzling hand sanitizer.

It doesn’t sound appealing, but you have to remember that kids don’t have access to alcohol so they’re very creative," Mallon told KTLA.

The trend may seem harmless or even laughable, but doctors say it’s harmful and dangerous.

Bottles of hand sanitizers are inexpensive and accessible and teens can find instructions on distillation online.

Full story of teens drinking sanitizer at KTLA

Photos courtesy of and copyright stock.xchng, http://www.sxc.hu/

Published by

Will Savage

Quantum Units Continuing Education provides online CEU training's to licensed professional mental health therapists, counselors, social workers and nurses. Our blog provides updates in the field of news and research related to mental health and substance abuse treatment.