The news that toxicology tests concluded Prince died from an accidental fentanyl overdose could spur Congress to reach a deal on legislation to combat the opioid crisis, The New York Times reports.
Last week the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office announced the toxicology results, but did not specify how the drug was taken, or if it was prescribed or illegally made, CNN reports. Fentanyl is an opioid legally prescribed for cancer treatment. It can be made illicitly, and is 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin.
Legislators in Washington are trying to come to an agreement on legislation that would address the national opioid crisis. Last month, the U.S. House overwhelmingly approved 18 bills aimed at addressing the nation’s opioid crisis.