Some Smokers Say It’s Harder to Buy Cigarettes Now that CVS Doesn’t Sell Tobacco

A survey of smokers who used to purchase cigarettes at CVS finds more than half say it is harder to buy cigarettes now that the pharmacy chain has stopped selling tobacco products.

The survey found 52 percent said the move by CVS has impacted their ability to buy cigarettes regularly, CSPnet.com reports. Of that group, 73 percent called the impact manageable, stating, “buying cigarettes is now harder but I have other options.” The remaining 27 percent said it made buying cigarettes “much harder.”

Smokers who used to buy cigarettes are CVS are most likely to purchase them now at gas stations, followed by Walmart and Walgreens.

CVS stopped selling tobacco in the fall of 2014 in all of its stores. In February 2014 the company announced it would stop selling tobacco products because the sales conflicted with its healthcare mission.

Full story of ability to purchase cigarettes at drugfree.org

“Very Light” Smoking Appears Popular Among Young Women: Study

“Very light” smoking, defined as smoking five or fewer cigarettes a day, appears to be popular among young women, a new study concludes.

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin examined data from almost 9,800 women ages 18 to 25, and found about 30 percent were current smokers. Among these women, 62 percent were very light smokers, 27 were light smokers, and 11 percent were heavier smokers. About 71 percent of very light smokers were intermittent smokers, meaning they did not smoke every day.

Very light smokers were much more likely to be intermittent smokers, to be from a minority group, and to have some college education, HealthDay reports. The findings appear in Preventing Chronic Disease.

Full story of light smoking among young women at drugfree.org

Global Sales of E-Cigarettes and E-Liquids Nearly Doubled Last Year

The global market for e-cigarettes and e-liquids almost doubled, to $6 billion, from 2013 to 2014, a new report finds. During that same period, cigarette sales decreased 0.4 percent, according to CBS News.

The report on e-cigarettes and e-liquids was issued by the market research firm Euromonitor International. The United States, with $2.8 billion in sales last year, accounts for about half of all global sales. Demand for e-cigarettes is also strong in Europe, especially the United Kingdom, Italy, Poland and France.

Shane MacGuill, a tobacco analyst at Euromonitor, says the growth in e-cigarettes is partly fueled by the perception that they are healthier than traditional cigarettes. Because they are not yet taxed at the same high rate as cigarettes, they are significantly less expensive, he added.

Full story of sales doubling in e-cigarettes and e-liquids at drugfree.org

Tobacco Companies Don’t Have to Say They Lied About Smoking Dangers: Court

A federal appeals court has ruled that American tobacco companies do not have to tell consumers they lied about the dangers of smoking. The companies must say cigarettes were designed to increase addiction, according to the Associated Press.

The ruling is part of a long-standing legal battle that began in 1999, the article notes. Tobacco companies had objected to running court-ordered ads that would have begun with the statement that they “deliberately deceived the American public.” The companies said that statement was misleading and too broad.

The appeals court ruled language in ads must focus on preventing future violations, instead of past misconduct. Judge David Tatel, writing for the court, approved statements that said the companies “intentionally designed cigarettes to make them more addictive,” and intentionally designed cigarettes with enough nicotine “to create and sustain addiction.”

Full story of tobacco companies lying about smoking dangers at drugfree.org

Smokers Spend Average of $1.4 Million in Personal Costs: Study

Smokers burn through an average of $1.4 million in personal costs, a new study concludes. The figure includes spending on cigarettes, medical costs and lower wages brought on by smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke, CBS News reports.

The study, which appears on the website WalletHub, calculated the cumulative cost of a cigarette pack per day over several decades. For their calculations, the researchers assumed an adult starts smoking a pack of cigarettes per day beginning at age 18, and smokes for 51 years—taking into account that 69 is the average age at which a smoker dies.

The researchers then calculated how much smokers would have earned if they had invested their cigarette money in the stock market instead.

Full story of smokers cost at drugfree.org